What is XLS File?
XLS refers to the Excel Sheet Files created in Excel 97, or we can say Excel 2003. The latest and updated versions of Microsoft Excel, like 2007, 2010, and 2013, use the XLSX file format to save the workbooks by default, but it can use the XLS file format. XLS spreadsheets from the customers or the employees you can edit in Microsoft Excel 2013 and save the file in the XLSX or XLS file format. 2013 version of Excel on editing the files will leave the data as a whole.
Files having XLS file extension represent the Excel Binary File Format. Microsoft Excel or any other similar spreadsheet application can create such types of files.
The file saved in Microsoft Excel is known as the Workbook, and each Workbook contains more than one Worksheets. In these worksheets, the data will then displayed to the users in a table format containing some text data, formulas, values, external data, images, charts, etc. The latest Excel version keeps their first choice for the XLSX file, whereas they still open the files with the XLS file format.
Steps to Open XLS File Using Microsoft Excel
- Firstly, launch the Excel app either by double click on the application’s icon located on the desktop or by launching it directly from the Start Menu.
- Once the application opens up, click on the ‘File’ button found at the top portion of the loaded Excel application screen.
- Browse the Open button to load a window displaying the files and folders saved in your system.
- Ensure that you had already selected the option of ‘All Excel Files’ from the drop-down list found next to the ‘Filename.’
- Then browse the folder that contains your XLS file.
- Select the XLS file and click on the Open button to start accessing the Microsoft Excel application.
Steps to Open XLS File Using Android Device
- Firstly, visit the Google Play Store.
- Then browse for the ‘Microsoft Excel’ from the opened Play Store application.
- Then click on the ‘Install’ tab to download and then install the Excel app on your android device. The application is free to download and install.
- Once the application gets successfully downloaded, open it and then sign in to the Microsoft Account.
Steps to Open XLS File Using Microsoft Office Online Application
- Firstly, open any web browser and visit the site https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx.
- Then sign in by using the existing Microsoft account, or you can also create a new one to access the XLS files online.
- After the signing process gets over, click on the “New Blank Workbook.” It will open a brand new Workbook on your screen.
- Then open the XLS file by clicking on the ‘File’ button.
- Browse the ‘Open’ menu and upload the XLS file by clicking on the option of ‘More on OneDrive.’
- You will soon see the OneDrive page displaying on the screen where you can upload instantly and open the XLS file.
Steps to Open XLS File Using Google Documents
- Firstly, Open up any browser of your choice, such as Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, to import the files.
- Then visit the website to open the spreadsheet.
- Login, thereby using the existing Google account to access the store and the XLS files in that account.
- Ensure to browse the Excel page from the loaded page by clicking on the main menu tab.
- If all the XLS files got shared with the Google Drive account, they would directly display on the screen.
- If the XLS file is still not sent to the Google Drive account and instead you have saved it in a folder, you should click on the ‘Blank’ tab.
- A blank Excel sheet will load within the browser tab.
- You can open the XLS file either by pressing the ‘Ctrl’ and ‘O’ keys together or by simply browsing the ‘File’ menu and then tap the ‘Open’ button.
- Then from the pop-up box, you should browse the ‘Upload’ section.
- The next step is to either drag and drop the XLS file into the pop-up box or open it by clicking on the option of ‘Select a file from your device.’
- Once importing process gets over, the XLS file is now ready to access under the Google Sheets.
Steps to Open XLS File Using OneDrive
- Firstly, open any web browser of your choice and convenient to you.
- Then type ‘OneDrive’ in the search engine’s search box.
- Open the OneDrive live link and then ‘Sign In’ into the Microsoft Account.
- After the successful Signing in process, you should upload the XLS file and then access it online.
- After that, click on the ‘Upload’ tab and browse the ‘Files.’
- You should visit the folder from the pop-up menu, which holds the saved XLS files.
- The next step is to open that folder and the file you wish to import under the Files section.
- Then click the desired XLS file by tapping on the file and then select Excel online to view and access the file in the browser.
- With these steps, you can now open, edit and send the XLS file without downloading Microsoft Office app.