What is WEBP file?
A WEBP file is an image that is stored in the WEBP which is pronounced as”Weepy” is a raster image format that is developed by Google for web graphics. The WEBP format makes the file size smaller more than standard JPEG compression while maintaining identical or better picture quality. It provides support to both lossy and lossless compression and contains an alpha channel for simplicity, which is similar to PNG.
WEBP format is the sister project of WEBM video container format—depends on the VP8 video codec which is developed by On2 Technologies—released by Google.
Google attain On2 Technologies on February 19, 2010, then released WEBP in September in the same year itself. With 60%-65% of bytes on most web pages being images, Google set out to create a free, open-source file format that stores both lossy and lossless compression formats in high-quality. At the time of maintaining the quality but reducing the size of pictures, pages load faster, use less bandwidth, and store the battery power—particularly on mobile—when pages use WEBP pictures.
WEBP uses predictive compression to encode a picture that verifies the values in adjacent blocks of pixels to foresee the values in a block, and then it only encodes the difference between them. This allows pixels to be copied multiple times throughout a single file, and surplus data is removed from each block. Storing only the content that changes between each block reduces storage space as compared to PNG and JPEG file formats.
How to Open WEBP file?
Because WebP is developed by Google and royalty-free, it has already been integrated into lots of applications and software you might already have on your computer. Most of the web browsers already have the required plugin to manage the format.
- WEBP pictures are designed for the web and are nearly the same from JPEG and PNG, so you may not have even noticed that this is something that you looking at. You can save a WebP image to your computer the same way you would any other image on the internet; right-click the image and click “Save Image As.”
- Choose a destination on your computer where you want to save the image, then click “Save.”
- If you have Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Opera, what you have to do is just double-tap on the image, and it will open the file in your default browser for you to view it. On Windows, right-tap on the image, and point on “Open With,” then select the program you require to edit with.
- IrfanView, Windows Photo Viewer, and Photoshop all need plugins to open WEBP images.
- You can always change the default application for a file type should you want to open the file with a different program altogether on Mac and Windows. Or, just simply use google chrome to open the file.
Save Google’s WEBP Images As JPEG or PNG
Using a Different Web Browser
Some browsers—Microsoft Internet Explorer and Apple Safari—still don’t support WebP. Getting JPEG or PNG versions of the pictures on a website is often as easy as just opening it in Safari or IE and then downloading the picture from that selected browser.
- From a webpage that contains a WebP image, highlight the URL, right-click it, then click on “Copy.”
- Fire up another browser that doesn’t support WebP, right-click the address bar, then click “Paste,” and hit Enter.
- If the website does the correct server-side conversion, the page will seem to be identical, but this time all pictures will be in either JPEG or PNG file format.
- Right-click the image, then click “Save Picture As.”
- Locate a destination folder, and then tap “Save,” and your image will be downloaded to that folder.
- That’s it. search the image and open or edit as you would do as any other JPEG format.
Using MS Paint
If you use Windows 10, you can download a WebP image to your hard drive and use MS Paint to open it.
Why not utilize a piece of software already on your PC to convert any images you have? MS Paint converts WEBP into JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, and some other formats as well, without downloading any extra software.
- Right-click on the image, then click Open With > Paint if it’s not set to open WEBP files by default.
- Once you open the image in MS Paint, click on File > Save As, then select a format from the series available.
- Save the file.
- Once your image is finished converting, it will appear in the folder you saved it.
Convert WEBP file
By using Zamzar it is possible to convert WEBP files to a variety of other file formats
- WEBP to BMP (Windows bitmap)
- WEBP to GIF (Compuserve graphics interchange)
- WEBP to JPG (JPEG compliant image)
- WEBP to PCX (Paintbrush Bitmap Image)
- WEBP to PDF (Portable Document Format)
- WEBP to PNG (Portable Network Graphic)
- WEBP to TGA (Truevision Targa Graphic)
- WEBP to TIFF (Tagged image file format)
- WEBP to WBMP (Wireless Bitmap File Format)