What is a WAV file?
WAV files are the best method for preserving the complete as well as the accurate quality of recording in a truly lossless format on your computer. WAV file stands for Waveform Audio File Format which is been pronounced as “Wave”. The WAV file format is a raw audio file format that is generated by Microsoft and IBM as well. These files are the uncompressed lossless audio files that take quite a bit of space, comes in around 10MB /minute.
WAV file formats are particularly used in the professional music recording industries, as the number of users is increasing day by day and moving from WAV to FLAC which is an acronym of Free Lossless Audio Codec, as it uses the compression to make the file size smaller at the time of maintenance of quality. WAV file format use containers for storing the audio data, sample rate, bit rate, track numbers, etc. these files are usually larger than the other popular audio file types, such as MP3 because of the fact that they are typically uncompressed and that the reason why WAV files are used professionally in music recordings and all.
How to open a WAV file?
WAV files are been played mostly with the multimedia programs, MacBook comes with the QuickTime multimedia programs which have the ability to recognize not only WAV file format but also other file formats.
Mac is built to use a number of different programs such as iTunes, VLC or any other else for playing the audio files. It has been established on research that Quicktime is the default player for WAV files.
- Click the WAV file in a finder window.
- Tap on the finder’s file menu and then select the “Get Info” command. Which displays the complete information window about the file.
- Tap the triangle located next to the “Open With” section, opens up the windows that contain the list of programs.
- Scroll down to the list and choose “Quicktime”.
- Close the Window.
- Double-tap on the WAV file, your MacBook will automatically open “Quicktime” and play the file.
How to convert WAV file to MP3?
The conversion of WAV file to MP3 is in need when the majority of WAV audio files are present there and they are eating a lot of disk space, then you should reduce the impact that they put on your storage by converting them into the smaller size and a compressed file format like MP3.
Using VLC to convert WAV to MP3.
- Open VLC player
- Tap the “media” button and then click on the “convert/save” button.
- Even if you have a file already loaded in VLC you still have to load it again in the converter it will not be loaded automatically and just tap the “Add” button on the right side.
- Browse the file and tap the “Open” button.
- To open up the next window click on the “convert/save” button.
- From the drop-down menu of “Profile” choose “MP3” and then select the “Browse” button for selecting the folder where you want to save the file.
- Once you select the folder, change the file extension to “.mp3” and then tap on the “Save” button.
- To control the encoding that occurs during the conversion, tap on the wrench button.
- Another window opens with the Advanced options.
- At last click on the “Start” button to begin the process of conversion.
- Conversion will be started depending upon the size of the file and the bitrate selected, it should not take too long to complete.
- Later access the MP3 file from the saved folder that you specified earlier.
Convert the file by Online Solutions
Numerous websites help you out to convert the files for free, amongst them there is one website to which we keep going back to back is Zamzar. Zamzar helps you in converting 10 files at the same time.
- Coming on to Zamzar’s website, tap on the “choose files button ar you can simply drag and drop the files in your browser window for uploading to the site.
- Select “MP3” as the output file type from the drop-down list.
- Finally, enter the valid email address where you can receive a link of your converted files, and click on the “convert” button.
- After completing the conversion process you will be receiving an email that your file is ready to download.