What is a DWG file?
A DWG file is a database of 2D or 3D drawings that are generated with AutoCAD, which is a professional CAD program. It consists of vector image data and metadata that describes the contents of the file. DWG files are associated with the .DXF files, which are ASCII versions of DWG files. A file having the.DWG file extension is an AutoCAD Drawing Database file. It saves the metadata and 2D or 3D vector image drawings that can be used with the CAD programs.DWG files are compatible with lots of 3D drawings and CAD programs, which makes it very simple to transfer the drawings between programs. However, as there are several versions of the file format, some DWG viewers can not open every type of DWG file. DWG (drawing) is an AutoCAD (Computer-Aided Design) file format that is used for saving two or three-dimensional design data and metadata.
It is one of the most commonly used design data formats, which is also supported by IntelliCAD and all its variants, PowerCAD, and several other software applications. DWG was originally developed in the late 1970s by Mike Riddle and licensed in 1982 by Autodesk. Since then the format has been updated several times, the latest version being of 2013. The important thing to remember here is that even though the newer versions can read DWG files created in older versions, the older versions cannot read newer ones. The intention was to make DWG an open standard but it hasn’t succeeded so far. At the same time, Autodesk has not been able to attain a trademark for DWG. In 2011 the USPTO issued a final refusal to register DWG as a trademark owned by Autodesk’ later in 2013 it affirmed this decision. The struggle between Autodesk and OpenDWG Alliance proves the popularity and helpfulness of DWG as an image file format.
How to Open DWG File?
DWG files include the designs, photos, maps, and geometric data, and were originally generated by the Autodesk in 1982 with the launch of AutoCAD drafting software. DWG files can also be opened directly in AutoCAD or Microsoft Visio, or with Autodesk products A360 Viewer and AutoCAD 360.
Method 1:- Using Microsoft Visio
- Launch Microsoft Visio and click on “File.”
- Click on “Open.”
- choose “AutoCAD Drawing (*.dwg; *.dxf)” format from the “Files of type” record.
- Navigate to the DWG file that you wish to open and then tap on the “Open” button.
Method 2:- Using A360 Viewer
- find the way for the A360 Viewer page on the AutoDesk website.
- Tap on the “Upload Your Design” Button.
- Drag and drop your DWG file that you wanted to open into the window on the A360 Viewer page.
Method 3:- Using AutoCAD 360
- Search for the AutoCAD 360 downloads page on the AutoDesk website.
- choose the option to download AutoCAD 360 for your computer.
- Download and install AutoCAD 360 to your computer like you would do for any other application.
- Launch AutoCAD 360 on your computer after the installation is complete.
- choose the DWG file that you want to open.
Method 4:- Troubleshooting
- Try opening the DWG file by using the latest version of AutoCAD if you receive the error “Drawing file is not valid.”
- Quit any third-party applications that are running inside AutoCAD if you cannot open a DWG file.
- Make sure by verifying that the DWG file originated from the AutoCAD if the file fails to get open.
How to Convert a DWG File?
- Zamzar can convert DWG to PDF, JPG, PNG, and other similar file formats. As it is an online DWG converter, it is much faster to use than one that you have to install into your computer. However, it’s only the best option if the file isn’t too large since anything really big will take a long time to upload/download.
- Other DWG files can be converted with the DWG viewers, For example, the free DWG TrueView program can convert DWG to PDF, DWF, and DWFX, DWS, and DWT for free. The latest versions of DWG file formats can not be opened in older versions of AutoCAD. See Autodesk’s instructions on storing a DWG file to an earlier version, like 2000, 2004, 2007, 2010, or 2013. You can do it with the help of a free DWG TrueView program through the DWG Convert button.
- Microsoft has commands on using a DWG file with the MS Visio. Once opened in Visio, the DWG file can be converted to Visio shapes. You can also store the Visio diagrams into the DWG file format. AutoCAD should be able to convert the DWG file to other formats like STL (Stereolithography), DGN (MicroStation Design), and STEP (STEP 3D Model). However, you might get a better conversion to the DGN format if you use the MicroStation software to import the DWG file.